Saturday, July 1, 2017

Mitch Resnick's TED Talk on Scratch

I really enjoy watching TED talks. As I learn more about educational technology, I'm finding there's a wealth of information out there. Today I read a paper by Mitchel Resnick called Rethinking Learning in the Digital Age, which in summary is about how technology can be used – not to deliver information – but to create ideas. He essentially talks about the same thing in this YouTube video. But I personally found his TED talk on teaching kids to code more engaging. Resnick's research group at MIT developed Scratch, which is an amazing site aimed to teach kids how to code. I've embedded his TED talk below. If you have young children or are a K-12 educator, I highly encourage your kids to explore Sratch, which I really got an eye-opening look at for the first time a few months ago when I got to do a video profile of instructor Samantha Dahlby. The video includes footage of her teaching Scratch to a small group of parents with their kids. But don't feel it's limited for kids. Resnick makes a great case that Scratch can be used for by people of any age. Enjoy!


Shuva

3 comments:

  1. I'm in your sideI’m in your side, I really like TED talk and I like Scratch. I had to create Pac-man by using scratch during one class. It was not that easy but working with group was very helpful. I think I need to review how to create staff to benefit from it. Thanks for sharing this information and video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I'm happy to continue sharing cool stuff like this as long as I can :-)

      Delete

Multimedia Montage Project + Final Reflection

Multimedia Montage Project by Shuva Rahim I appreciated the feedback from my classmates on the first and second updates on my Multimedia M...