Saturday, July 15, 2017

Camtasia Critique

Camtasia is a versatile, easy-to-use video-editing and video-creation tool I plan to incorporate for my Multimedia Montage Project. I discovered Camtasia last year while talking to one of the instructional designers at my community college. After using the software's 30-day trial , I eventually purchased it and created 13 tutorial videos aimed at my students during one of their computer units.

This video is an introduction to Camtasia, and what you can expect from it. Since the frame is so small here on the blog, I would recommend you click on the video in YouTube to view it there.



Thanks for watching and hope this helps you in learning more about the program. I look forward to your comments.

Shuva

8 comments:

  1. Camtasia, never heard of it. I am glad you made a presentation on it, for now I know it. I like the fact that you know this tool really well, so your presentation comes off smooth and natural, not as if you are reading from a script. A lot of people find it hard to do two things at one time, but in this case, and under pressure no less, you have more than succeeded at it. I am noticing that a lot of the Web 2.0 tools are more or less the same. There are slight differences in each, but rarely enough to alter the end result. Certain tools, I am sure, make the process easier though. Thanks again for your insightful presentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Danny. Thanks for the feedback. I script most things I record, but the flow varies depending on my comfort level and experience with the software. And you're right, many of these tools are similar. I think it's a matter of what best suits your needs and personal preference.

      Delete
  2. This app seems intimidating when it was first opened. There were a lot of tools on the first screen to navigate. Do you have previous experience with this tool? I do appreciate your descriptions of the variety of features on Camtasia. I would have to play around with the app to feel comfortable using all of its tools. I will say, however, that it is great to have one tool that can be used for still and moving media. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, I can certainly relate. When I first was introduced to Camtasia it was intimidating for me as well - that was in the fall semester. But I liked the possibilities of it. It wouldn't be until mid-spring semester that I downloaded the trial version and then ultimately purchased the program. The 30-day trial is a good way to get a feel for the program. I was already producing video tutorials for my students with the trial, which has a large watermark on the screen. But I knew I liked it and couldn't find anything comparable that was cheaper. I would definitely recommend it for teachers who want to do step-by-step demos on their computers for screencasts. Hope this helps, and thanks for the question.

      Delete
  3. Hi Shuva, Camtasia is such a robust tool for video editing.There are so many different ways to manipulate and edit videos--it's almost a bit intimidating. As Jessica mentioned, I think I would need some time to figure out how to work with it.

    Your screencast is very clear and fluid. You do a great job covering the major features of Camtasia. I appreciate that you had a plan going into it so that you could create a real demo. I think I have a good understanding of how to at least get started with it once I access Camtasia on my own.

    This seems like a great tool for creating recorded lectures that integrate video and images, so it's especially useful for those who facilitate online courses. I think it would also be great for assigning a Concept in 60 project for older students who are interested in the field of videography.

    Thanks for sharing your critique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Tiffany. I agree it can be useful for lectures as long as they are visually engaging.

      Delete
  4. Hi Shuva,
    I like your description. I tried Camtasia and made one screencast for this assignment. I took more time to understand how it works than Screen-o-Matic. It is a good tool to work with once you understand it. But, watermark is discouraging. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Alfred, thanks for your comment. I agree, Screencast-O-Matic is much easier and the Camtasia watermark is distracting. I think the tool used depends on one's preference as well as what the content might be of the presentation.

      Delete

Multimedia Montage Project + Final Reflection

Multimedia Montage Project by Shuva Rahim I appreciated the feedback from my classmates on the first and second updates on my Multimedia M...