One of the activities in White Space Is Not Your Enemy is to go through the Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Reading Room website, find a variety of different photos, and explain why you like the images based on the six principles of design (Hagen & Golombisky, pgs. 53-60). I chose the following from the site, none of which I've seen before but caught my attention for different reasons.
Title: Dressmaking class, Manzanar Relocation Center, California / photograph by Ansel Adams.
This photo stood out to me in this collection in part because it was an Ansel Adams image and I only recently learned of Manzanar during a 99% Invisible podcast episode. The things that struck me about this photo were the focal point is the dressmaker on the front right of the frame before your eye moves to the girl looking at her in the background. This photo does a great job of utilizing the rule of thirds and having the dressmaker in the foreground creates a good balance with the handful of women in the background.
- Title: Footpaths of Manhattan Bridge [when the bridge was being built]
- Date Created/Published: [between 1907 and 1915]
This photo was in the George Grantham Bain Collection. I am generally drawn to architecture photos, and this one resonated with me because every time you look at it, you notice something different. The footpaths leading to the off-centered background give the photo a sense of unintended movement. The curvature of the footpaths gives the illusion of a symmetrical pattern and movement. After your eye follows the end of the pathway, you then notice the two men walking forward toward the right of the frame. If you look even closer, there are two people in the background on the right footpath.
- Title: Trans World Airlines Terminal, John F. Kennedy (originally Idlewild) Airport, New York, New York, 1956-62. Interior
- Creator(s): Korab, Balthazar, photographer
- Related Names: Saarinen, Eero, 1910-1961, architect
Much like the previous photo, I was drawn to it because of its architectural depth. The curvature of the red carpeted path framed by the railing gives this image movement leading to the stairway in the far right background. The light-colored curve of the ceiling above the carpet adds an element of contrast. This was another photo that also follows the rule of thirds.
- Title: Rhodes Mfg. Co., Lincolnton, N.C. Spinner. A moment's glimpse of the outer world.
- Said she was 10 years old. Been working over a year. Location: Lincolnton, North Carolina.
- Creator(s): Hine, Lewis Wickes, 1874-1940, photographer
- Date Created/Published: 1908 November
- Title: Goslin safe at first
- Date Created/Published: [1925 September 7]
- Medium: 1 photographic print.
- Summary: Photo shows Washington Senators' Goose Goslin safely sliding into first base as Philadelphia Athletics' first baseman, Red Holt, reaches to catch the ball, during the morning game in Philadelphia. The Senators beat the Athletics 2-1.
Your eye naturally goes from left to right in this photo as you follow the progression of what's happening. The movements happen fast and the photographer did a fantastic job capturing this microsecond of action. The rule-of-thirds applies in this image, which shows two actions balancing each other while competing against each other simultaneously.
- Title: [Egypt. Village and pyramids during the flood-time. ca. 189-]
- Related Names: Carpenter, Frank G. (Frank George), 1855-1924, collector
- Date Created/Published: [between 1890 and 1900]
At first glance, the reflection of the pyramids is what I liked about this image. The symmetry created of the pyramids and foreground camels from the water is pleasing to the eye. However, the second thing I noticed was this image has an understated focal point, which is the center of the reflection and where you see two people close together on camels.
- Title: [Chemistry lab at Howard University, Washington, D.C.]
- Date Created/Published: [ca. 1900]
I like this photo because the lower part of it is in such contrast to the rest of the image spatially. The lower third has students doing their work in this chemistry lab. Even if it's hard to decipher what everyone is doing you get the sense that each individual is busy. The upper two-thirds of the image is really empty space – negative space – so you get a sense of how large this room is in relation to the size of the students. I also like how the photographer angled the image so the front (or back) of the room is at the right corner of the frame to lead the viewer's eye.
If you have further thoughts on any of the above photos, please feel free to respond in the comments.
Reference:
- Hagen, R. & Golombisky, K. (2017). White Space Is Not Your Enemy: A Beginner's Guide to Communicating Visually Through Graphic, Web & Multimedia Design 3rd Edition. Focal Press: Boca Raton, FL
My Own Logo
Finally, as part of a series of mini art school activities, I was drawn to creating my own logo – this one representing myself. Based on my readings about font categories and typefaces (Hagen & Golombisky, pgs. 88-95), I knew I wanted my logo to be simple with a subtle serif font and a dark color (I eventually decided on the Rutgers' scarlet). I looked at logos of two academics, Sara Goldrick-Rab and Tressie McMillam Cottom. Goldrick-Rab's logo resonated with me more with the play on her initials. However, I also wanted to incorporate a bit of a tech aspect to mine while still making it feel approachable. Because I have two unusual names, it was important my logo is recognizable. I realized putting the letters of my name together like "SHUVARAHIM" made it look like something akin to a law firm, which I didn't want.
In the end, this is what I came up with a logo with a Cambria font that included a triangle symbol.
Incorporating the new logo on my resume sparked a few formatting changes, the major one of which was to include a pop of color to all the headings. (The dark blue strip is my address and contact info which I decided to block for this post). But compared to the previous resume, I think this one is more aesthetically pleasing.
Thanks for reading, and look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.
- Hagen, R. & Golombisky, K. (2017). White Space Is Not Your Enemy: A Beginner's Guide to Communicating Visually Through Graphic, Web & Multimedia Design 3rd Edition. Focal Press: Boca Raton, FL
Shuva









Wow! You used the concepts from your research very well to design this logo. I love this area!
ReplyDeleteThank you! Much appreciated!
Delete