I tried this out by using a photo I took on Instagram a few months ago of this coffee cup I was served. This is the image, which I actually cropped from the IG version so it only showed the cup.
From there, I separated the cup in Photoshop and put it on a clear background that matched the cup first, and then added the words "Java Blend" in Chalkduster font.
After that, I changed the color of the background to match the drink. I also enhanced the text with a bevel and emboss, as well as a black stroke outline.
Next step took a while to figure out, but I finally found a brush that would allow me to add some dustiness to the background to match the light blue tone of the handle.
Finally, I wanted to add something to the corners and finally came up with the triangles to juxtapose the roundness of the cup. To even out the corners, I repeated the white by duplicating the original layer in Photoshop.
The end result attempts to use splashes of color throughout without losing focus on the drink.
Thanks for reading and I look forward to your comments.
Shuva
- Hagen, R. & Golombisky, K. (2017). White Space Is Not Your Enemy: A Beginner's Guide to Communicating Visually Through Graphic, Web & Multimedia Design 3rd Edition. Focal Press: Boca Raton, FL
- Krause, J. (2004). Design Basics Index: A Graphic Designer's Guide to Designing Effective Compositions, Selecting Dynamic Components and Developing Creative Concepts. David & Charles: UK.





I liked your step-by-step instructions on how you created the final image using color echo. I'm not sure I like the look of the background being so closely resembling the contents of the cup, but the image inside is clearly the focus. I'm also not crazy about the text with the black stroke outline, maybe a dark brown would have echoed the colors better. The corners made it look like a placemat, which I thought was a great addition to the image. Overall, I'm impressed with how you came up with the different effects to bring it all together.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comment and suggestion, Christine. To be honest I struggled with this photo, thinking initially I'd be able to come up with something more appealing. I tried a lighter background, and didn't like it. I didn't try anything darker, as I knew I wanted my words to be lighter. Perhaps further trial and error on this was needed.
DeleteShuva,
ReplyDeleteI really love how you have successfully applied the color echo principle. I applaud your effort with the image selection. You chose a very dynamic photo for editing and I'm very pleased to see the application of splashes, and the various changes of the typography throughout your designs. Nice work!
Thank you, Prof. Dudley!
Delete